Monday, July 4, 2011

Module 5

I spent a lot of time on this Module because I had not had any previous experience with Glogster and Prezi, other than having seen and admired a few Prezis over the past few months.

I can see that in English there is a lot of scope for using the Glogster tool.  For representations of various kinds relating to a whole host of things (texts, concepts, experiences) it would be a very useful thing.  I think that in particular, having students reflect on and evaluate their own and others' creations would be highly valuable.  We've all seen those questionable Powerpoint presentations, where the background and effects etc bear little relevance to the content.  I think the risk of this occurring in Glogster could be equal, if not greater.  Therefore this provides a good opportunity for students to hone their visual literacy skills and be involved in  making and critiquing thoughtful choices about how ideas are presented in such a medium.

The video tutorials for Prezi were very helpful, especially the one specifically on using Prezi as a teaching tool.  Its dynamic interface, particularly the ability to zoom in and out on items, certainly does make it a very appealing application, and a useful one for learning.  There is not a lot of call for much didactic input in the English course I am currently teaching, but of course I can see how it could be useful for that, or for some teacher directed analysis of a text for example.  For me at the moment I see a lot of value in this in my role as a leader of learning at my school, hence I created a Prezi which I will use next term as a riveting piece of revision on one of my favourite topics - N Warnings!  It doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles, however it is appropriate for the time and place of its intended use - a short staff briefing to remind staff of the principles and practices.

Click here to see my prezi on N Warnings!

No comments:

Post a Comment